Monday, April 30, 2012

April

We've just been living regular life these days. That basically means playing all day, preschool 3 days a week, library once a week, errand day once a week. We are seeing Jake only in the mornings and sometimes for dinner. He's very busy with his campaign putting out signs, meeting people, attending meetings, etc. We just continue to hope and pray that he wins his Primary in about 5 weeks. 

My greatest struggle these days is Miss Leah. That girl has a strong will if I ever knew one. She can really push our buttons at times and we just feel at a loss with what to do with her. Screaming back at her, though the easiest thing to do, doesn't work. We've tried it plenty of times; usually in the middle of the night for her to get back in bed and go to sleep. I really, really, really try to remember to be patient with her. I was thinking about it tonight and wondering why this is so hard. Then the thought came to me that parenthood is an eternal principle; why should I be able to master it in a few short years? Not that I'm giving up and counting on figuring it all out in the eternities. I just think I need to take it one day at a time; one battle at a time. And remember that this child has a purpose in life that I need to help her realize. And the times when I feel like that purpose is to drive me insane, I need to remember to take a deep breath, speak kindly, and try to really react as Heavenly Father would want me to do. I've learned that if she's tired, hungry, or bored her behavior can become questionable. These things should be pretty easy to avoid if I am prepared and live life by a schedule. She also likes to say the same thing at the same time during some of our routines. Makes me crazy, but I think it's just something I need to learn to live with. The best example is putting on chapstick before bed each night. For a couple weeks each night she would say, "What does this taste like?" Then I would tell her, "strawberry lemonade." Then the next couple of weeks she would say, "I know what this tastes like-strawberry lemonade." I've told her over and over she doesn't need to tell me these things. So now the last week and a half has been, "I'm not going to tell you what this tastes like." To anyone reading this, it probably seems funny. And maybe it is. And I know it's just a silly little thing that a 3 year-old girl does. But after a long day with this little goose, it's the last thing I want to hear because it's the epitome of me telling her not to do something and she does it anyways. Like drinking the bathwater. Like eating the toothpaste. Like not making it to the bathroom in time even though I remind her to go. Like bothering Adam. Like bothering Adam. Like bothering Adam. I do certainly love this little girl-she's my baby Leah. And at least for now my one and only daughter. I hope that I can learn to be more patient, spend more time with her, and love her even more so that my life can be calmer and hers can be happier.

This may sound like my life is just a never-ending battle with my heathen daughter and two perfect sons. This, of course, is far from the truth. The boys certainly contribute to the craziness that our life usually is. But my kids are mine and they are wonderful, beautiful, and perfect and they teach me so much. Here's a few pictures of life lately....


If the weather allows, we are outside. No questions asked. Adam has discovered he loves digging in the dirt. Thankfully, he's not putting it in his mouth any more. Just the rocks. Lovely. 

 And with all that time outside comes bath time. Almost every night; sometimes twice a day. (And I love that Adam is in almost the same position in these two pictures!)
 Yard sale season has finally arrived. This was my steal at an unplanned stop last week on the way home from preschool. All for Leah...two pairs Children's Place jeans, one pair Reef flip flops (or fip fops as she calls them), Carter's sandals, and Carter's tennis shoes (both of which may have never been worn) for a grand total of $5. Yay! :)
 And Adam on an average day....
 Isaac loves his computer time. He asks almost every day for a new game...which means a new website. I'm really running out of ideas here.
 Leah "helping" make cookies. Actually, I had just finished making them and ran upstairs to change Adam when I heard the chair sliding across the kitchen floor. I knew exactly what was happening and was not surprised when I came down and found this:

1 comment:

  1. I would totally have you send Leah my way for a week so I can spoil her with kisses and love (not that you don't provide plenty of those) and you may or may not get her back.

    I am right there with you on the repeating thing. Josh has asked me about 100 times this week how old I am. And that is only one of his questions. He asks what my brother's name is, if I have a small kitchen and on and on. Over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete