Tuesday, April 3, 2012

For another reason...

Clearly, it's been a while since my last post. I just haven't felt a reason to post or when I find a reason I realize I'm so far behind that I don't want to attempt a catch-up. But while writing in my journal the other night (which is also a rare occasion), I noticed how infrequently I was recording the happenings of my little family. I know it's nothing extraordinary usually, but it's our life and someday I will want to look back and have a way to remember what we did on some Tuesday in April in 2012. I have a hard time remembering so much already I just really felt a need to get things recorded. Plus I think when I started our blog, it was when everyone else I knew already had a blog or was just starting one,too; it was the cool thing to do. Then I would get a little uninspired to post when there were only a few people reading. Now, I just need to focus on this blog being a record of our lives and not a collection of clever posts about our seemingly perfect family. Of course, people will read it and that's just fine. But hopefully it will be something my children, Jake, and I can read some day and remember. So here we go.....

Christmas was good in 2011. Crazy, as always, but full of fun gifts, family, and food. We tried to help the kids realize why we have Christmas. I think we did a decent job; Leah was constantly singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. We stopped at the post office one day before Christmas and a man in line behind us asked Leah if someone was coming to our house soon (Isaac was at school), and she said, "Yes! Jesus!" I started to correct her and the man replied that it was great she already knew that. A few pictures to document our celebrations:









Next up was New Year's Eve. The Hawkeyes played (and lost) their bowl game. The kids enjoyed some great dancing on the Kinect. The adults attempted to enjoy our new game of Crappy Birthday after the kids were put to bed (again, and again, and again!). 



Tuesday, January 3 marked the beginning of the race for the presidential candidates. We attended our caucus. It was a little crazy at times for me because I of course had all 3 kids and Jake was bouncing all over his district as a Senate candidate. We thought Romney won...then there was news of the unofficial counts and so Santorum was declared the new winner. Oh well! The kids had a great time at the elementary school running around in the gym.




The next weekend brought Adam's first birthday. It was a fast year and he's grown up so much. We had a little whale-themed party for him. I was having a really hard time thinking of gifts for him; for us to buy and for ideas to tell family members to buy him. Being the second boy and the third child, there isn't much that we don't already have. For that reason, we asked that from here on out just grandparents bring gifts. 








We were actually at my parents' for dinner on Adam's actual birthday where he enjoyed his cupcake-he ate the entire thing. I was so glad to find a single cupcake for sale at Wal-Mart. That night Isaac, Jake, both Grandpas, Josh, Kyler, and Cael attended Monster Jam and Leah got her first haircut and style.





February brought Leah's 3rd birthday. She has certainly grown from a toddler to a little girl. She has quite the determined personality; listening to directions when they are contrary to her will is not exactly her forte. Nonetheless, she's our little goosie and we love her. She's a great helper; loves to do any job and especially looks forward to putting the little dishwasher detergent tab in each morning. She had a bumblebee party. 





Valentine's Day is not a big holiday for us, but thanks to Pinterest, Jake was given some bacon roses. 


I attended a baby shower for a friend at church. She hates sushi; so I made her gift into sushi. (Really just washcloths, socks, and onesies.) The package was complete with a fortune and fortune cookie-making that sucker was quite an adventure. I was quite proud of this little creation. Though, again, credit for the idea comes from Pinterest.





The rest of February and March will come soon....


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Even though I talk to you regularlyish I love to see pics of the kids and hear about your day to day life. I know what you mean about the blog needing to be a family journal more than a fun thing for other people to read.

    ReplyDelete