Thursday, September 24, 2009

Decorating HELP!!!!

Alright, I am in desperate need of some decorating assistance. My living room currently looks like this:









Sad, huh?

We are hoping to put our house on the market in the next 6 months or so and I am SO over this green color (which I liked a little more with the tan couch that is now in the family room in the basement). Knowing this, all my decorating ideas need to be staging-minded rather than what I necessarily like. The only two things that have to stay in this room are the couch and the carpet.

Everything else is pretty much going to be replaced or re-used. I found this fabric at Jo-Ann's and am planning on getting more of whatever I choose. I'm planning on painting the walls a very neutral color like a tan or beige. It's been a challenge to find something with gray and tan/beige. I LOVE the gray and yellow damask, but I think it's a little too limiting with only 3 colors. So I'm leaning towards the multi-colored print. However, I'm not a big fan of the stripes-it's a little country looking for the style we're wanting.



Having read all that and seeing what we have and the fabric I've found here are my main questions:

1. What fabric should I use? Should I use it for the curtains or throw pillows or both?
2. I have one white end table-the other is a nightstand that will go to the new bedroom downstairs. What color and style table do I get to replace that one? Do I leave the other one white or paint it another color? Or do I find a new one that's wood-colored?
3. I'd prefer to keep using the TV stand we have already. But is that alright with white end tables?
4. The book shelf is also going downstairs soon. Do I replace it with something or just have an empty space there?
5. I was thinking of getting something like this (only $25 today on craigslist!) to put near the door as sort of an entry/foyer table. Any thoughts? Should I look for something simpler/smaller/white? Should I just leave it as is and not put anything there?



6. Should I move the desk and filing cabinet to the basement so it's strictly a living room? If so, what do I put there instead? (Please say piano so we can get one) :) If we do leave the desk, I'm hoping to find an older wood chair and paint/stain it to replace the forest green card-table chair.

7. What color picture frames should I use (assuming I'm going to end up with some white and some wood-toned furniture)? I know to take down all the family/personal pictures.

The neon green toy basket on the white end table is going downstairs soon. I am also in the process of getting a new lamp shade to replace the yucky yellowish pleated one. And my fall deorations are out-those are just wooden leaves hanging on the other lampshade.

Ok, I think that's it for now. Don't worry-there are still like 6 more rooms to go. Yippee! Thanks in advance for all your help and opinions!

*You're not going to offend me no matter what-don't hold back!

2 comments:

  1. Okay you asked:
    I like the damask fabric-it is a litte less bright which is good for staging. I would make curtains out of it and then mix that with gray and yellow fabric for pillows. I would try and keep the end table and then try and make it look antique. I think the tv stand is fine. I like the book shelf so I would put one there but with adult books and decorate (not just filled with books). Leave the space by the door open. Roomy is good. Put a piano in the cutout instead of the desk. Use silver picture frams to match the lamp. But this is all just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you trust your realtor (which is pretty mandatory) ask them what they think. They should know what sells and what quick fixes you can make.

    ReplyDelete